Climate Crisis Flyyer
During the Rebellion Wave October 2019, the Comic Science printed these flyers for distribution to politicians and passer-bys at the street blockades. Event texts are adapted from the short texts in our “Things To Come” project. Tipping point text is adapted from the “Why Rebel” project.
The front featured tipping a discussion of tipping elements
The back featured some of the worst local consequences of climate change, XR Demands, and a call to action.
One of our illustrators made a comic of the tipping point concept:
Funding & Reimbursement
- Because this was a legal and educational endeavor, we were able to secure funding to print many of these flyers.
- When printing over 10,000 at a time, the flyers cost about €0.05 ($0.04) a piece on Vistaprint.
- Vistaprint.de’s invoices were quite problematic for the Finance working group. We’d encourage using another printer.
- If you do wnat to use Vistaprint, they periodically (once a week) offer discounts of 20-25% off. It’s worth waiting for these.
If we were to do this project again, there are a few changes we would make:
- For distribution in German, we should have added an impressum to the printout. This contains with contact details of the people/person responsible for the pamphlet. This is a legal requirement that we missed last time and could have caused some significant problems.
- In Germany, Flyeralarm is cheaper and generally better than Vistaprint. We’d use Flyeralarm next time.
- The required layout for flyeralarm is slightly different from Vistaprint
- Distribution can be a pain. We’d ship flyers directly to the outreach group if possible.
- At the very least, let people know that the flyers are being delivered, because otherwise you might spend 10 hours searching headquarters for 40 kilos (90 lb) of paper which someone else had already moved to an undisclosed staging location across town without telling anyone about it. 🤷♀️
Do you need flyers in your own language? Flyers need three things:
- Prepared texts
- Prepared designs
We have texts prepared in English, German, Spanish, and Catalonian. These do not contain region-specific information like this. If you need regions specific information on your flyers, we’ll need your help writing it.
For languages in which we have prepared texts, please let us know what 8 texts you would like featured on the flyer back, and we can put that together.
If you can, we’d love for people to lay out and design flyers based off of this one. In the linked download, you’ll find source files and icons in Adobe CS format. Please send your work back to us. We’d love to upload it to the website!
You can download the material here if you want to re-print or adapt the flyer:
- ZIP archive of InDesign and PDF files, English
- ZIP archive of InDesign and PDF files, German
- SVG trace of tipping points comic
- or browse all resources for this project
- The Things To Come was meant to provide more detailed backgrounds on each of the consequences we highlighed in this flyer.
- Likewise the Why we need to rebel project featured a much longer version of the text from the flyer and dozens of references
- The Postcards project featured text similar to the flyer.